Visa & Permits

Online approvals to facilitate expats


SHENZHEN’S entry and exit authorities launched new online services for the convenience of foreigners yesterday.

Foreigners who need to apply for certifications for a lost passport or a birth certificate for their baby born in China no longer need to provide paper materials. Instead, applicants can log onto the Civic Livelihood Police Platform at, to complete the application. They need to fill out an online application form and upload the images of the materials as required.

The new service will also make it easier to apply for household registrations for foreign-born children of Chinese nationality, as well as children born to residents of Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, and household registration cancellation for applicants who have legally obtained citizenship from a foreign country or permanent residence in Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan.